The 2021 awards in their fifth edition received more than 140 entries, a record jump of close to double the number of entries in the previous year. These awards, presented by WAN-IFRA recognise South Asian publishers who have delivered unique and original digital media projects in the last 12 months. From new approaches to digital subscriptions to impactful native advertising campaigns, these are projects that inspire us all. The ‘Gold’ winners automatically enter WAN-IFRA’s World Digital Media Awards competition.
The winners are:
Best News Website (or) Mobile Service
- Gold: Manoramaonline.com, Malayala Manorama
- Silver: thequint.com, The Quint
- Bronze: bloombergquint.com, Quintillion Business Media Pvt. Ltd.
Best Use of Online Video
- Gold: Life in an Auto: The Inspiring Story of 74-year-old Sole Breadwinner, Desraj Jyot Singh, The Quint
- Silver: Girls on a Mission, People Like Us Create (PLUC)
- Bronze: A Night at India’s Largest Farmer’s Protest, BBC News
- Gold: Times TOP 10, Times of India Digital
- Silver: The India Cable, Foundation for Independent Journalism
- Bronze: Here’s the thing – Weekly Members-only Newsletter, Spunklane Media Pvt. Ltd.
Best Data Visualisation
- Gold: West Bengal Elections 2021, NDTV Convergence
- Silver: COVID-19 Pandemic: Full Coverage, NDTV Convergence
- Bronze: Kerala Assembly Election 2021, The Mathrubhumi Printing & Publishing Co. Ltd.
Best Reader Revenue Initiative
- Gold: HT Codeathon, Hindustan Times
- Silver: Support The Wire, Foundation for Independent Journalism
- Bronze: Freedom Sale 2021 – The Hindu Group, The Hindu
Best in Audience Engagement
- Gold: Bring Back Milk Bikis Campaign, The Hindu
- Silver: Teen Goshti, BBC News
- Silver: Kissan Protein Champs – Knowledge Series & Brain-teasing Activities, The Hindu
- Bronze: Njanoru Naran, M M Publications Ltd. (Vanitha)
Best Podcast / Digital Audio Project
- Gold: Sakalchya Batmya / Daily Sakal News, Sakal Media Group
- Silver: Club FM Cinema Katha, The Mathrubhumi Printing & Publishing Co. Ltd.
- Bronze: Vivechana, BBC News
Best Brand Marketing Campaign (for News Brands)
- Gold: Doctor’s Day Campaign – Hindustan Times
- Silver: Neel Barir Lorai – Anandabazar Patrika
- Bronze: HT Fresh – First Voice. Last Word. – Hindustan Times
Best Special Project for COVID-19
- Gold: On The Road with the Pandemic: Counting India’s Uncounted COVID Deaths, Mojo Story
- Silver: Hindustan COVID Actions, Hindustan Media Venture Ltd.
- Silver: Covid-specific Jagran Dialogues Series, in Collaboration with Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and UNICEF India, Jagran New Media
- Bronze: BBC’s coverage of COVID in India, BBC News
Best Branded / Sponsored Content Campaign
- Gold: Unacademy Let’s Crack CSE, The Hindu
- Silver: HT Codeathon, Hindustan Times
- Silver: Break the Taboo, The Daily Star
- Bronze: Bring back Milk Bikis, The Hindu
- Bronze: HTLS 2020, Hindustan Times
The Hindu Group and HT Media Ltd. have been adjudged the SDMA 2021 Champion Publishers of the year based on the overall number of gold, silver and bronze won by them at the awards.
The entries were evaluated by an international panel of jury which included – Adam Tinworth, Digital Publishing Consultant, UK, Alberto Lucas López, National Geographic, Angela Robson, multi award-winning TV, radio and print journalist, Corinne Podger, Reuters & BBC Certified Consultant, Australia, Dickens Olewe, Journalist, Kenya, Emanuel Karlsten, Media Consultant, Hans Peter Janisch, newspaper designer and consultant, Iryna Vidanava, independent online media consultant, Belarus, Jacqui Park, journalist, editor and media strategist, Jerusha Raath, Head of Brand Studio, 24.com, Juan Velasco, Founder and Creative Director of 5W Infographics, Michael Cooke, consultant and editor, Murdoch Davis, consultant and editor, Rob Montgomery, Mobile Journalism consultant, Lucie Lacava, Design Consultant, Steve Yelvington, Media Consulting and Training, Kuek Ser Kuang Keng, Award-winning digital journalist, Kuala Lumpur, Rakesh Dubuddu, Founder and CEO, Factly, Chhavi Sachdev. Storyteller: Podcast Producer, Editor, Aniruddha Pawade, Podcast Consultant, Gurman Bhatia, Independent Information Designer, Prem koman, Narrative & Storytelling consultant, Kavita Chandran, Thomson Reuters Foundation and Sambit Pal, Associate Professor, International School of Broadcasting and Journalism.
The winners will receive their awards virtually at the upcoming South Asian Digital Media Awards 2022 on 8-10 March.
Further details and the ‘Hall of Fame’ (winners) of the previous editions of the award are available at South Asian Digital Media Awards webpage.
Contact and Inquiries
For further information, please contact: Magdoom Mohamed, Managing Director, WAN-IFRA South Asia, Chennai, India (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Suresh Babu, Asst. Manager – Business Development, WAN-IFRA South Asia, Chennai, India (email@example.com).