25 February 2022
WAN-IFRA encourages all news organisations to endeavour to ensure any journalist covering the conflict, including freelance correspondents or local stringers they may engage, has the relevant training and equipment to do so as safely as possible.
There are also a number of considerations for newsroom editors and managers to be aware of when it comes to commissioning and directing staff or freelance contributors from distance.
Below are a selection of resources and opportunities to which we draw your attention to help prioritise a culture of safety – at every level – as the world’s media navigates this unfolding conflict. Be sure to check back for regular updates and additional resources.
From our colleagues at CPJ:
- War reporting / physical safety: https://cpj.org/2019/
- PPE guide: https://cpj.org/wp-
- Internet shutdowns / digital safety: https://cpj.org/2021/
- Arrest and detention / physical and digital safety: https://cpj.org/2021/
- Risk assessment information: https://cpj.org/
- Covering civil unrest: https://cpj.org/2018/
The Dart Center resource page: https://dartcenter.org/