Keep journalism alive – support free, independent media worldwide. Help us to do our work by making a one-off contribution. Together, stronger. Together as one.
Click the donation links below to take you to a secure Stripe payment page (select the amount you would like to donate):
You can also make a direct bank transfer to WAN-IFRA:
IBAN: FR 76 3000 4008 1900 0102 3826 261
WAN-IFRA FR: 69 Rue du Chevaleret – FR 75013 Paris
Bank details: BNP Paribas, 16, boulevard des Italiens – FR 75009 Paris
If you have any questions, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
A message from the President of WAN-IFRA
“We are facing the worst crisis in Europe since the Second World War, with uncomfortable parallels to the conditions that led to the formation of FIEJ – now WAN-IFRA – in 1948.
Then, scarred by years of propaganda and lacking a way to reach across borders in support of democracy, editors and news publishers from France and the Netherlands came together to form an association that would safeguard freedom of expression. They started FIEJ – la Fédération Internationale des Éditeurs de Journaux – to promote dialogue and exchange information and ideas between representatives of the newspaper community worldwide.
Seventy-four years on much has changed. FIEJ has evolved into WAN-IFRA – the World Association of News Publishers – and the digital revolution has given every citizen easy access to news. Yet today, similar challenges still confront us.
Freedom of the press is under attack, and solidarity and support is needed to ensure independent journalism and news media can continue during this challenging time. Propaganda and disinformation are once again dividing our societies. Yet again, the media find themselves caught in the midst of both physical and ideological confrontations.
In the interest of trust in our craft, and for all our futures, I urge you to pledge your support for our work that keeps journalists safe, journalism independent, and the public informed.”
How will we use your donation?
Your contribution will help us continue our work defending and promoting press freedom advocacy, journalist safety, diversity, quality journalism, media viability and independence wherever it is threatened – today, tomorrow, and as we have been doing for over 70 years.
We support members and non-members alike facing challenges to their ability to produce news, craft public interest journalism, and promote diverse and under-represented voices.
With our global network, we ensure the right support gets to those in need. We stand for press freedom, wherever it is threatened. An attack on one is an attack on all.
Together, stronger. Together as one. We, the media
Our work includes:
- Emergency financial assistance to journalists in crisis areas (salaries, basic humanitarian needs, assistance with displacement and/or evacuation costs, legal fees, etc.);
- Emergency support to media organisations (keeping the lights on and the presses rolling, newsprint sourcing, digital infrastructure support, payroll, administrative costs, safety equipment, communications, etc.);
- Reporting grants (keeping public interest journalism alive);
- Safety training, health and mental wellbeing for editors and journalists;
- Local Media Freedom Committees (activities to strengthen industry collaboration, overcome challenges and address local needs);
- Local advocacy on the international stage (amplifying voices, covering all angles, building consensus, finding solutions);
- Missions, delegations, skills support and mentoring (high-profile encounters with heads of state, global leaders and policy makers on behalf of the industry; skills exchanges between media companies to navigate challenges together);
- Editorial skills training (making the latest innovations, the highest standards and best practices available to all media);
- Business training (stable, viable, sustainable business solutions to safeguard the free flow of information and stand up to press freedom challenges).
Externally funded Media Freedom programmes
WAN-IFRA is running media support programmes focusing on safety, stability and equality in more than 20 countries throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, Southeast Asia, Eurasia, and the Arab region thanks to financial support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Annually, these programmes directly support more than 3,000 media professionals from more than 120 media organisations in the pursuit of strengthening independent media.
Additional financial support for media freedom has been gratefully received from:
UNESCO | Open Society Foundations | TU (Swedish Publishers Association) | Danske Medier (Danish Publishers Association) | Mediebedriftenes Landsforening (Norwegian Media Business Association) | Schibsted | Blasting News | The Globe & Mail | Le Parisien/Les Echos | Local Media Association | Polaris Media ASA | NHST Media Group | Fjordabladet | Dølen | Fjordenes Tidende | Møre-Nytt | Nyss | Vestlandsnytt | Vigga | Vikebladet Vestposten | The Irish Times | Norske Skog.
Join us! Consider becoming a member of WAN-IFRA
WAN-IFRA, is the global organisation of the world’s press. Our mission is to protect the rights of journalists and publishers around the world to operate independent media. We provide our members with expertise and services to innovate and prosper in a digital world and perform their crucial role in society.
Join 3,000 news publishing companies and technology entrepreneurs, 60 member publisher associations who represent 18,000 publications in 120 countries today: Join WAN-IFRA.