The third cohort of the Young Media Leaders Fellowship (YMLF) begins their leadership training in Asia this week.
The YMLF identifies and nurtures young media leaders from across Asia who are committed to shaping a healthy and vibrant news industry.
The 2022 Fellows, nominated by their editors, include high-potential mid-career editors and journalists from 21 publications in nine countries. They will gather online and in-person over the next six months to share experiences, exchange ideas, amplify the impact of their news reporting, and learn to lead in an industry transformed by technology.
The fellowship encourages the pursuit of good journalism, dialogue, and ensuring newsrooms meet societal needs. It builds strong bonds between peers from different countries in the region. It is made possible by a partnership between the Temasek Foundation and WAN-IFRA.
The 27 Young Media Leaders Fellows for 2022 are:
- Nima Wangdi, Assignment Editor, Kuensel, Bhutan
- Hakimul Hayat Shamsul Hayat, Digital Media Editor, Borneo Bulletin, Brunei
- Phanet Hom, Business reporter, The Phnom Penh Post, Cambodia
- M. Pratomo (Adi), Content Manager, Bisnis Indonesia, Indonesia
- Ina Parlina, General News Deputy Editor, The Jakarta Post, Indonesia
- Anas Abu Hassan, Journalist, Bernama, Malaysia
- Ari Mohamed, Business Journalist, Bernama, Malaysia
- Adha Ghazali, News Editor (Digital & Content), Berita Harian, Malaysia
- Hana Naz Harun, Journalist News Desk, New Straits Times, Malaysia
- Bervin Cheong, Journalist – Fashion Journalist, The Star, Malaysia
- Rahimy Rahim, Senior Writer, The Star, Malaysia
- Ellalyn de Vera Ruiz, Content Producer/Senior Reporter, Manila Bulletin, Philippines
- Martin Sadongdong, Content Producer/Reporter, Manila Bulletin, Philippines
- Robert Jaworski Abano, Associate Editor for Regions, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Philippines
- Ace June Rell S. Perez, Editor, Social Media Strategist, SunStar Davao, Philippines
- Ralph Llemit, Reporter, SunStar Davao, Philippines
- Muhammad Izwan Ohtman, Editor and Presenter, Malay News and Current Affairs, CNA, Singapore
- Tan Si Hui, Senior Journalist, CNA, Singapore
- Janice, Heng, Assistant News Editor, The Business Times, Singapore
- Irshath Mohamed, Deputy News Editor, Tamil Murasu, Singapore
- Lee Lay Ming, Associate Chief Digital Sub-Editor, Lianhe Zaobao, Singapore
- Nur Adilah Mahbob, Senior Correspondent, Berita Harian, Singapore
- Walter Sim, Japan Correspondent, The Straits Times, Singapore
- Audrey Tan, Assistant News Editor, The Straits Times, Singapore
- Stephanie Adair, Reporter, The Nation Thailand, Thailand
- Nguyen Thi Thanh Tam, International Reporter, Nhan Dan Newspaper, Vietnam
- Thanh Thanh Lan, Business Editor, VnExpress, Vietnam
“The future of journalism is in the hands of the young and upcoming journalists. The Young Media Leaders Fellowship will sharpen their journalistic and management skills,” said Esther Ng, WEF Asia Chair and Chief of Content, Star Media Group.
Thomas Jacob, Chief Operating Officer of WAN-IFRA said growing the contribution and harnessing the energy and creativity of young newsroom leaders was vital to sustaining a healthy news ecosystem. “Thanks to the generous support of the Temasek Foundation, we are able, through tailored talent development, to help strengthen the pool of future media leaders.”
The training begins on 27 June and will culminate with an in-person Fellowship Finale at WAN-IFRA’s Digital Media Asia in November 2022.
ABOUT TEMASEK FOUNDATION
Temasek Foundation supports a diverse range of programmes that uplift lives and communities in Singapore and beyond. Temasek Foundation’s programmes are made possible through philanthropic endowments gifted by Temasek, as well as gifts and other contributions from other donors. These programmes strive toward achieving positive outcomes for individuals and communities now, and for generations to come. Collectively, Temasek Foundation’s programmes strengthen social resilience, foster international exchange and regional capabilities, advance science, and protect the planet.
For more information, visit www.temasekfoundation.org.sg