Our mission is to protect the rights of journalists and publishers around the world to operate independent media. We provide our members with expertise and services to innovate and prosper in a digital world and perform their crucial role in society.
WAN-IFRA, the World Association of News Publishers, is the global trade organisation for the news publishing industry. WAN-IFRA is also, and primarily an association of and for its members.
WAN-IFRA represents nearly 60 national publishers’ associations from around the world representing more than 15.000 newspapers and 18.000 news websites.
Over 3,000 companies hold a corporate membership with our organisation which gives their employees direct access to all benefits, services and information WAN-IFRA has to offer. Among these companies, you will find not only media houses, news agencies, educational institutions and other industry organisations, but also technology and service providers to the industry.
What Makes us Unique
There are hundreds of organisations that deliver various services to different sectors of the news media industry. What makes us one of a kind in the world? WAN-IFRA is the only international media organisation that:
- Is truly global with activities that span all the continents with regional support provided by teams in Paris, Frankfurt, Singapore, Chennai and Mexico City.
- Defends and promotes press freedom as a core mission.
- Covers the entire value chain of news media companies from content creation, business, strategy, revenue generation, products, technology and innovation.
- Has specific offerings for CEOs, COOs, Editors, Business and Revenue Heads, Product and Technology Officers, Print and Production Executives.
- Represents news publishers at UN level to raise awareness of the issues facing independent media globally and works on joint initiatives for media sustainability.
- Brings together 60 national media associations to discuss matters of common interest.
- Undertakes media development work in fragile States and in particular promotes gender balance with our world leading ‘Women In News’ programme.
Why Join WAN-IFRA
1. UPLIFT your personal profile, your business, and cultivate a rich professional network that will help you grow.
WAN-IFRA is at the forefront of cutting edge innovations that can benefit news media around the world. Our network of specialist consultants and executive programmes help WAN-IFRA members in their transformation processes. They ensure that the press remains sustainable and independent, through robust business models and constant innovation.
The global press is rich in the diversity of its professions and expertise. To better serve the needs of these different professions, WAN-IFRA has created several dedicated expert professional communities. Each of these communities has its own agendas and programmes. By joining these communities, you will be sure to maximise the benefits of your membership. Our World Editors Forum, Digital Reader Revenue Network, the Global Alliance for Media Innovation, the DataScience Expert Group for News, Women in News, the Media Policy Global Forum, or the World Printers Forum are among these communities tailored to your needs. By cultivating a rich professional network, they will help you uplift your professional profile and grow your business.
2. KEEP AN EDGE with the most critical business news and strategic market trends.
Members receive exclusive WAN-IFRA industry reports, blogs, World Press Trends database, and daily news services with analyses, global statistics, trends, interviews and articles from industry’s key influencers. You can also gain further industry insight by engaging with our technical, regional or thematic committees.
3. ADD YOUR VOICE by joining our campaigns in support of your rights, freedom of information and quality journalism.
We are, along with our members, passionate about the future of news. We promote press freedom, ethical journalism, news literacy and editorial integrity. Equally, we are mindful of the issues affecting the news industry as we navigate this digital revolution – for example – issues around online copyright, internet regulation, and the right to be forgotten. That’s why WAN-IFRA has formal associate status to represent the newspaper industry at UNESCO, and consultative status at the United Nations and the Council of Europe. We also work closely with the 80 national newspaper associations within our membership.
4. CRACK THE CODE by learning from the brightest minds at local, regional and world events
WAN-IFRA’s global member network is central to our organisation. Members receive more opportunities to get the latest information and network with the brightest minds at local, regional and world events, including the World News Media Congress, The World Media Leaders eSummit, or the World Printers Summit.
Receive a customized quote: fill in our Membership Inquiry Form
Email us if you have any questions or if you’d like someone from WAN-IFRA to contact you to talk one-on-one firstname.lastname@example.org