AFRICA'S PREMIER DIGITAL NEWS AWARDS
All 6 winners of the following 6 categories will go head-to-head and compete against other regions for the prestigious title of a Digital Media World Award Winner 2022. The in-person ceremony will take place at the World News Media Congress (28 – 30 Sept. 2022) in Zaragoza, Spain
1) Best News Website or Mobile Service: This category for general news includes mobile web and apps, as well as desktop. Entries must demonstrate combined excellence in content and UX, as well as value to readers and advertisers. Innovative design, the use of multimedia (such as audio, video, infographics, photography, etc) to better tell the story, speed of access and the service’s overall contribution to revenue goals will also be taken into consideration.
2) Best Use of Online Video (including VR): Entries should demonstrate an ability to relate a story in a concise and objective way and improve the reader experience and engagement with the news brand. There should be consideration of the appropriate video format for specific platforms (e.g. Facebook vs YouTube). The technical quality of the shooting and realisation, as well as the possible emotional and aesthetic impact of the video, will also be taken into consideration.
3) Best Data Visualization: Entries should demonstrate excellence in design, usefulness and clarity of information conveyed on infographics, in the context of (for example) breaking news or non-breaking news, information or entertainment. Special attention will be paid to creativity and visual impact, as well as the effectiveness on mobile devices.
4) Best in Audience Engagement: Entries should demonstrate an original offering, measurably grow user engagement, make the best use of the relevant social media platform, and actively reflect the voice and tone of the news brand.
5) Best Reader Revenue Initiative: Best new or updated reader revenue initiative or project (e.g. via subscription, membership, crowdfunding or other). Entries should demonstrate real results and metrics, understanding of brand strengths, value and clarity for the reader or customer, and an effective call to action. Entries should provide evidence of solid conversion, address the possibility of churn and/or show retention results.
6) Best Newsletter (new category): This category is open to companies that have successfully included newsletters as a part of their editorial offering. The newsletter should have a clear purpose (e.g. drive traffic, retain paying subscribers), carefully tailored content serving a specific audience, a user-friendly interaction, coherent design, an original editorial angle and format, and measurable audience results in terms of growth and engagement.
The following 4 categories are exclusive to the African region and launched specifically for our African members to showcase their inspirational projects and compete against other news publishers for the continental awards.
1) Best Trust Initiative: This award recognises new projects that help restore public trust in quality journalism. In this age of misinformation, how are you explaining the value of research, fact-checking and transparency when gathering and reporting news? What initiatives have you launched to highlight the importance of news versus opinion?
2) Best Use of Audio as an App, Service or Series: Entries should demonstrate innovative use of and capitalise on the strengths of audio as a medium for news and information. Besides being technically sound in production or execution, entries should have features that audiences can interact or engage with, and show proof or the potential of being financially sustainable or contributing to overall revenue goals.
3) Best Gen Z Initiative: This award recognizes projects designed by publishers to target digital natives. The award evaluates publisher’s approaches to build a relationship between Gen Z readers and trusted, mainstream news media. Has your news media organisation launched initiatives to invest in media literacy? In what ways are you engaging with Gen Z readers by: developing specific contents? using their favorite platforms? responding to needs you have identified? and helping them identify verified news?
4) Best Digital Advertising Project: This award acknowledges the rise of digital advertising in publisher’s revenue and the importance to deliver creative and efficient campaigns to advertisers. In this category we will evaluate branded content campaigns, digital marketing and other digital formats. What was the advertiser’s objective & how did you respond and why is it a success? What did your team learn during this campaign (insights, skills)? Entries for the Best Digital Advertising Project should have clear messaging, an effective social strategy, strong brand voice and efficient targeting.